Ki Hajar Dewantara Award
Malaysia: Mrs Lee Saw Im
Oh my god, I cannot believe that I got 1st best (science) teacher in South East Asia. It is very motivating for me. I hope that this award is not just for me but for all educators in South East Asia. I hope that this would inspire more and more and more science educators that would think, would produce very excellent young generations to the future. Thank you SEAQIS.
Singapore: Mr Harman Dev Singh Johll
I'm thrilled to join a programme from SEAQIS. I'm really happy that I can join this beneficial programme. In the future, we hope that we can join another programme held by SEAQIS, all of them are very beneficial and precious to develop and we will share the knowledge to our friends. Thank you.
Indonesia: Mrs Risa Haridza
KHD is an exceptional award from SEAQIS to be presented to science teachers around South East Asia. This is also a chance for us, science teahers, to meet, to share idea, and to discuss. Hopefully, we can work together and collaborate even further. And next, of course, I'm thrilled and proud to win this prestigious award. In the future, I hope that I will be able to contribute even more to the educational science in Indonesia and all around South East Asia.
Ki Hajar Dewantara Award is an idea and initiative by SEAMEO QITEP in Science that was presented in Centre Directors Meeting last 1-3 July 2013 and has been approved by the Governing Board Meeting on 25-27 September 2013 in Bali. To ensure the program is supported by SEAMEO member countries, the initiative was brought to the High Official Meeting on 19-21 February 2014 as part of the SEAMEO proposed programme.
The intention of the presentation of the award is to honour and appreciate the science teachers who have dedicated their lives and effort to bring the teaching and learning process up to an excellent level. This concept derives from the inspiration of the founding father of National Education, the late Ki Hajar Dewantara for his unceasing commitment to make education a contribution towards human liberation.
As a commemoration of his steadfast passion, SEAMEO QITEP in Science bestows the Ki Hajar Dewantara Award for the excellence among the best science teachers as the highest endowment.
- To commemorate the services of Ki Hajar Dewantara in forming national education system in both philosophy and practices.
- To develop, advocate and reward excellence in science learning and teaching practices that contributes to the students’ learning experience and outcomes.
- To reinforce the concept of the teaching profession and science education development as a driving force in the regional progress leading collectively to prosperity and peace to the ASEAN Economic Community.
- To foster cooperation and close relationships among SEAMEO Member Countries by means of better science education and a greater awareness of the place of science in society.
General criteria of nominees must be:
- Citizen of SEAMEO member countries (Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor Leste, and Vietnam).
- Science teacher in education institutions.
Professional criteria of nominees must:
- Kindle a love for science in their students.
- Use ingenious methods to engage students in learning of science.
- Be passionate about making science interesting and relevant to students.
- Have contributed something for the community.
- Touch the life of the students by inspiration.
- Encourage students to relate science as part of their daily life.
- Help to improve the use of science.
This step is an assessment of the submitted documents (portfolio) and the quality of the research paper.
In this step, the nominees will be required to present their works during the International Conference. As part of the second steps, the presentation will be assessed by the board of judges.
This is your chance to improve yourself.
The award will be conferred during the International Conference on Science Education, biannually event of SEAMEO QITEP in Science, where teachers, academics, researchers and education observers gather to inform, discuss, exchange, and disseminate their best practices in facilitating the learning process.
The Award for the winner is comprised of:
- The Trophy.
- A Certificate.
- A Teacher Professional Development Funds.