The COVID pandemic had great impact on global society in many aspects till now, education is not the exception. Schools in many countries has been severely impacted such as the temporary closure of schools themselves. The nationwide closures are impacting over 60% of the world’s student population, interrupting the education of more than 1.5 billion young people. Two-thirds of an academic year has been lost on average worldwide due to full or partial closures. The longer schools stay closed, the higher risk of children and youth losing out on their future.
Schools have made efforts to secure educational opportunities for their students while carrying out COVID-19 countermeasures, and have been developing initiatives to prevent infections in schools and the spread of COVID-19 in the community. They have also been devising measures for dealing with complex social problems such as disparities and discrimination feared to arise through unexpected COVID-19 infections.
Moreover, schools have been required to conduct distance teaching with no time to prepare and often with limited guidance and resources.
To ensure quality education for all learners in the times of the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2021 SEAMEO-Japan ESD Award timely selects the theme “Securing Educational Opportunities in COVID-19 Crisis”.
The objectives of this year’s award scheme are;
1. To foster initiatives on creating educational opportunities in schools in Southeast Asia in cooperation with Japan;
2. To encourage schools to maintain safe and accessible educational platforms in use of innovation;
3. To build resilience into educational system with practical learning alternatives.
Under the theme of “Securing Educational Opportunities in COVID-19 Crisis”, the school entry may cover at least one or more than one of the following areas:
1. Initiatives for public health education to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the school, community, and family.
2. Initiatives for preventing the occurrence of mental health problems stemming from the prolonged lockdowns and anxiety about COVID-19.
3. Initiatives for promoting a correct understanding of the coronavirus itself and infectious diseases.
4. Initiatives for the effective utilization of Information Communication Technology (ICT) for classroom transformation and ICT contents for education during COVID-19 crisis.
Detail information can be found at http://link.seameo.org/2021SEAMEOJapanESDAward
For more information:
Coordinator / Document Officer
SEAMEO-Japan ESD Award
920 Sukhumvit Road, Klongtoey District,
Bangkok 10110, THAILAND
Tel: +662 391 0144
Fax: +662 381 2587