Environmental Education for Sustainable Development
7 - 16 July 2019
About the event
The most influential living creature on this Earth is the human. Therefore, learning about all environment topics by discussing them as concepts will not enough, but how we as human being must act to face them. From past achievements and future challenges related to education in Southeast Asia particularly linked to the development of global development goals and ASEAN integration, one can identify number of important driving forces which will necessarily influence the future development of education in the region. These include the environmental deterioration and sustainability as well as emergency conflicts and disasters (SEAMEO Secretariat, 2014). Education systems can at least make the effort to promote sustainable development in what they teach and in efforts to make their own institutions “green” and eco-friendly. Even less discussed education systems must do something to sustain themselves and be resilient in the face of, and to prevent, prepare for, mitigate the impact of, respond to, and recover from such emergencies.
Good intentions for the professional development of teachers have fallen short in practice. Although taken up by enthusiasts, teacher education for sustainable development has rarely been mainstreamed, and, where there are courses, is often approached within a disciplinary frame (Wals, A., 2009, in UNESCO, 2013 p.3). Concerning on the described issues, Training Course on Environmental Education for Sustainable Development is one of the SEAMEO QITEP in Science (SEAQIS) efforts to increase teacher’s competence and encourage their real roles in school to overcome threats in sustainable development.
Since 2009, SEAQIS has been developing whole school approaches in the promotion of environmental education. The essence of this approach is the involvement of all parties within a school which leads to their empowerment in integrating environmental education issues into all school programmes/activities. Furthermore, in 2019, SEAQIS in affiliation with Office of Climate Education (OCE) and other parties that concern on Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and Global Citizenship will provide a new perspective to enrich teachers’ understanding and skills to address environmental challenges nowadays. This programme is an important part in improving the quality of science teaching and learning in schools with respect to environment, ecosystem conservation and their support to sustainable development.
The goals of this course are:
- to share best practices in environmental education activities related to knowledge development, skills, and values as well as their support to sustainable development;
- to describe science, issues, and solutions of ecosystem problems in relation to its support of sustainable development;
- to understand other issues related to environment and sustainable development such as climate change, Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and Global Citizenship;
- to integrate sustainable development issues into science learning and their assessment.
Upon completing this course, participants should be able to:
- share best practices regarding the implementation of environmental education in participant’s school;
- explain science, issues, and solution of environmental education in support of sustainable development at local and regional level;
- integrate sustainable development issues into lesson plan, hands-on activities, learning materials and publication content of environmental education;
- observe environmental management practices as inspiration resources to be adopted.
Find Something Interesting?
Register Now! The open registration is just until June 6th
The training course will be supported by SEAQIS affiliation partners: Office of Climate Education (OCE), Komisi Nasional Indonesia UNESCO (KNIU), trainers and experts from some well-known universities such as Bandung Institute of Technology (ITB), Indonesia University of Education (UPI), and Padjadjaran University (UNPAD).
No more than 52 years old
HAS NEVER participated in any regular training courses conducted by SEAMEO QITEP in Science in the last two years (alumni data will be verified).
Active teacher in school and/or active member of Teachers Association, etc.
Good health condition
Should not be regarded as an expectant mother
note: science teacher in elementary school is preferable
How to apply
Visit the registration link below, upload the requested documents, and our officer will contact you for interview if you pass the administrative selection. The successful applicants will be contacted by our officer and will be announced in our Website and Facebook Fan-page.
Please be patient, our regular training course is coming soon next year